The office of the Christian web television channel, Gawahi was destroyed in a fire that erupted in wee hours on November 23, in Karachi, the biggest city of Pakistan.
The office of web television channel was set up in a residential building. According to the police the equipment worth two million rupees (approximately US$ 20,000) as destroyed in the fire. Fortunately, no casualty was recorded as the team of fire brigade rescued residents of the building on time.
Sarfraz William, director of the web office informed local media claimed the fire was set by some miscreants to destroy the office. He further stated that chemicals were used to destroy computers and other equipment. However, police claim that the incident caused by electrical short circuit.
The management of the web television channel gave an application to the police to conduct an inquiry into the incident. The police have decided to get CCTVs footage from cameras installed in nearby church to confirm the cause of incident.
William claimed that they had received threats from suspected militants in the past to close the channel.
The web television channel was a Sindh province based television channel running religious programs for Christians since February 10, 2010.
Pakistan Press Foundation