ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office on Monday rebutted news stories against Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs (SAPM) Tariq Fatemi as “irresponsible and malicious allegations.”
“A section of the media has been running baseless stories about Tariq Fatemi, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs (SAPM), alleging that he has left the country,” the Foreign Office said.
“The SAPM, Fatemi, is in the Foreign Office performing his official duties. Irresponsible and malicious allegations by an anchor of an electronic media is not only a serious attack on the person of Fatemi, a high office holder, but also this ministry, which deals with the matters related to relations with foreign countries,” the statement added.
The Foreign Office further said the ministry has taken a serious view of the “malicious propaganda” directed at Fatemi and said they reserve the right to take legal action.
Last week, news reports suggested an inquiry committee’s report named Fatemi as playing a role in the Dawn leaks controversy. The news reports claimed he was expected to be removed from his position.
The government had set up the inquiry committee last year to probe the controversy surrounding a controversial report by daily Dawn about a key meeting on national security.