PPF is concerned over the Ghana journalist assaulted by Soldiers

Share this on:
PPF is concerned over the Ghana journalist assaulted by Soldiers

Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF) in a letter to Nana Akufo-Addo, President the Republic of Ghana expressed concern over the attack of Mr. Kendrick Ofei, a freelance journalist who was brutally assaulted by some soldiers on March 6th, 2017,during Ghana’s 60th Independence Day Anniversary parade ,at the Independence Square in the capital, Accra.

PPF Secretary General Owais Aslam Ali in his letter appreciates that Deputy Defence Minister, Major Dereck Oduro, on the same program said that if the allegations were true, investigations will be conducted and those responsible will be brought to justice. We urge your government to vigorously investigate this matter and ensure that the culprits are   punished

According to a report by the Media Foundation of West Africa (MFWA), Ofei,on March 21, narrated his ordeal during a TV program named ‘State Affairs,’, broadcast on the privately-owned GhOneTV. He appeared on the Program wearing a cervical collar and showedbruises on his body.

Ofei had been caught filming an assault on a civilian by military officers on 6th Marchafter the Independence Day parade, behind the Independence square. He said the soldiers ordered him to delete the video, crashed his phone and later and beat him up for recording the incident.

He was saved by the timely intervention of an officer bearing the name tag W. O Mensah.